8.17.2010

Grand Stabile Rouge
Paris 1974

Woke up thinking about Calder, and how he has inspired my life and my work in so many ways. I was 7 years old when I saw "Grand Stabile Rouge", one of his "stabiles". But his "mobiles" were the ones that always caught my attention... perfect use of equilibrium creating sculptures made out of rods and weighted objects that balance each other and rotate with air. Later I learned he made jewelry, using mostly brass, copper and simple cold connections to create elaborate wearable art! I was so inspired when I went to his exhibit with my architect and photographer friend Camila Hoefel! I didn't need any more reasons to love Calder.... but he also did sets for Martha Graham, the mother of modern dance that also happens to be one of my idols =) Oh, Calder! Such a Genius!

Mobile
circa 1946

Necklace
1940

2 comments:

  1. Móbiles.
    Móveis matérias metálicas, ou não, movimentárias, ou sim.
    Nas mãos móveis da menina as peças viram coisas estéticas de lindeza assim, no sim que ela somou ao sonho, movimentando o espírito dos corações modulados, de todas as coisas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pictures, found u via jak&jil, I like your blog

    www.therawpower.blogspot.com
    A fashion blogger based in Australia and Hong Kong.
    you can also follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/therawpwoer
    and blog lovin http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/1871826/raw-power?claim=gt67ssuvazt
    Please also visit my blog for Olivia Palermo =)
    http://www.oliviapalermothesocialite.blogspot.com

    xo
    Esther

    ReplyDelete